- Special skills / qualifications
- Peter has worked for Australian Wildlife Conservancy since its inception, initially as a consultant advising on potential property acquisitions, and since 2003 on land management and vegetation mapping matters.
- What did you do before AWC?
- BSc (Agriculture)
Peter worked for the QLD Department of Forestry including a professional appointment (only the second at the time) to National Parks Branch, where Peter determined suitable additions to the National Parks estate throughout most of QLD.
Peter was recognised for this by an Award from IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources), and later was the recipient of the Public Service Medal as part of the Australian Government Australia Day Awards. In 2001 Peter was awarded the Prime Minister's Centenary of Federation Medal for services to the Wet Tropics of North Queensland, and in 2012 received the Champion of Conservation Award from the Queensland Government.
After leaving the Forestry Department, Peter went on to work for Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service. During this period he carried out detailed vegetation mapping and survey work, and was appointed as the Service's first Regional Director.
Since retiring, Peter has among other things, worked for the Wet Tropics Management Authority, mapping the vegetation of the Wet Tropics Bioregion; and was appointed by Commonwealth and State Ministers as Chair of the Cape York Property Planning Technical Group.
- Favourite animal protected by AWC
- Difficult to say - I like all native animals, with particular affection for birds.
- Favourite place on an AWC sanctuary
- Again...difficult to say. My favourite place is where I happen to be at any particular time.
- Top three animals you would like to see (or have seen) in the wild
- Tiger Quoll
Golden Shouldered Parrot
- If you could visit any three places on the planet
- SW Tasmania
- Other interesting stuff
- Placed 3 times in State titles for Track Athletics at middle distance running.
Major interest in land rehabilitation (over the last 20 years I have been revegetating a 60 hectare property in the high rainfall section of the Atherton Tablelands.