Dr Phil Tucak
- Communications Manager
- Special skills / qualifications
- Bachelor of Science (Veterinary Biology) and
Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery.
- What did you do before AWC?
- I worked as a veterinarian and multimedia communications consultant. I have previously worked for Perth Zoo, ABCTV, SBS News, Murdoch University and as a wildlife vet in Antarctica.
- Favourite animal protected by AWC
- Favourite place on an AWC sanctuary
- The small islands accessible only by canoe at Karakamia. Each of AWC’s sanctuaries have their magic places, I’m looking forward to exploring them all, especially Newhaven, Faure Island, Mornington, Piccaninny Plains, Yampi…
- Top three animals you would like to see (or have seen) in the wild
- Like to see: Thorny Devil.
Seen: Weedy Seadragon, Sugar Glider.
- If you could visit any three places on the planet
- Macquarie Island, Rowley Shoals, Lake Eyre in flood.
- Other interesting stuff
- I’ve always enjoyed exploring and documenting the wild places and nature of Australia and its territories, whether along the coast, among the forests or in the outback. Highlights include studying seals in the Antarctic, releasing rare frogs with Perth Zoo near Margaret River, filming with WA Museum marine scientists researching off the Kimberley coast, and further afield - translocating baboons in Africa and hiking among the rain-forests of Papua New Guinea.